Founded in 1957, Dunn is a private, college preparatory, 6th - 12th grade boarding and day school, set in the central coast area of California. You can reach Dunn by car from Los Angeles in 2.5 hours, and from San Francisco in 5 hours.
- Student to Faculty ratio is 5:1
- Average 12 students per class (middle and upper school)
- 55 scenic acres with views of the foothills
- 4 residence halls (3 boys, 1 girls)
- 25 on campus faculty residences
- 40 classrooms, fine arts center, library, computer lab, performing arts theater, science center with labs, learning skills center, 2 day student lounges, infirmary, dining hall, school store, campus student cafe, organic garden
- 4 athletic fields, gymnasium, pool, tennis courts, volleyball courts (indoor and outdoor), basketball court (indoor and outdoor), running track, ping pong facility
- Maximum 7 students per advisor
- Advisees meet 6x per week with advisor plus periodic other meetings
- Advisor serves as an advocate for the advisee and ensures communication and partnership with families
- All students trained in library science, Internet research and library networks
- One to one instruction for class projects
To experience physical and mental challenges during which students feel risk and reward and stretch boundaries of comfort; To experience group decision making; To experience student and teacher bonding, peer to peer bonding and self-leadership; To increase an appreciation of the outdoors and to develop an environmental consciousness; To learn basic outdoor skills.
Performing & Fine Arts
- The Sinclaire Fine Art Center includes ceramics, photography, multimedia, painting, drawing and sculpture studios.
- Music classes, band, dance and drama offered.
Learning Strategies Program
- Established over 25 years ago
- 5 full time faculty
- Students have 4 or 5 individual sessions each week with their Learning Strategies teacher
- Emphasis is on learning strategies, organizational skills, time management and study skills
- Up to 25% of student body can enroll
- Community service is offered as a winter sport alternative
- Several ongoing volunteer programs are offered each year including gardening, kitchen crew and Toys for Tots.
- College counseling class for 9th - 12th grades.
- Personal advice and support with college application planning.
- Two college trips and 40 colleges visit Dunn each year.