Good food is an important part of the Dunn community. Given our location in one of the most fertile agricultural areas in the nation, our students and staff expect fresh, local and seasonal cuisine that is culturally diverse, environmentally sustainable and ... just plain tasty!
The Dunn Kitchen provides three great meals a day, plus healthy snacks between, with an eye toward nutrition, food allergies, and other dietary needs of students. Upper School students eat in the Mary Dunn Jackson Dining Hall (or just outside at the picnic tables), and food is delivered to the Middle School each day for lunch. And on Fridays, 8th graders can walk up to the dining hall for lunch with the Upper School students and faculty.
The Kitchen, operated by Flik Independent School Dining, has a mantra: Eat. Learn. Live. Led by chef Robin Reynolds, the staff provides wholesome nutritious meals, prepared fresh from local ingredients when possible, which fuel the minds of students. They go above and beyond food service by offering nutrition education programs that enable students to make healthy choices on a regular basis. By providing wholesome nutritious meals in conjunction with nutrition education, they equip students with the tools they need to live a happy, healthy life.
Good food is the primary goal, but environmental consciousness is also important for the kitchen. In 2016, the Kitchen received a coveted 3-star Green Restaurant rating from the Green Restaurant Association -- the highest rating in all of Santa Barbara County!
What else does the Kitchen provide?
- Being ever mindful of the cultural and dietary preferences of a diverse student body, faculty, and staff, menus are created exclusively for Dunn School by the onsite management team.
- Vegan and Vegetarian offerings are always available and menus reflect seasonal changes. Parents and students are welcome to tour the food service facility and their suggestions are encouraged.
- A Nutrition Specialist is available to review menus, consult on individual eating habits, provide nutrition education and assist communities that need to become more “aware” of particular dietary concerns such as allergies, celiac disease and food sensitivities.
- Foods are prepared from whole fresh ingredients, limiting the use of processed foods and avoiding products containing artificial flavorings, M.S.G., preservatives and high levels of sodium.
- Minimal amounts of fat are used in food preparations, primarily olive and canola oils, which have a healthier blend of fatty acids than other cooking oils.
- Salad bar items are prepared fresh on premise. Low-fat dressings, cheese, and yogurt are available daily.
- 100% fruit juice, low-fat milk and water are available daily.
- A variety of fruits and vegetables are offered daily. Local farmers practicing sustainable farming methods are utilized whenever possible.
- Seafood is purchased in accordance with the Monterey Bay Seafood Watch guidelines for sustainability.
- We purchase meats graded “choice” or higher. Where space and facilities permit, we roast our deli beef and turkey on premise.
Chef Robin is available during the school year for any questions or feedback that you may have regarding the menu or food ideas.