COVID Update Summer 2021
Dunn School appreciates that you are entrusting your children with us during these uncertain times. In addition to our usual summer camp health and safety protocols, we have given much consideration and taken extra precautions to ensure the safety and well-being of our Summer Academy and Summer Camp participants and staff with respect to preventing the transmission of COVID-19. We have learned many lessons about COVID-19 prevention throughout the 2020-2021 school year and are pleased to say that we have been successful in our return to in-person learning on campus this year! We will bring our learning and successes from the school year to our summer programs.
We have also established a close relationship with county and local health agencies and will continue to work closely with these agencies in taking measures to monitor and prevent the transmission of COVID-19 and associated risks.
Fortunately, given our spacious 55 acre campus and its beautiful rural surroundings in the Santa Ynez Valley, our location has seen relatively low cases of COVID-19 when compared to many other cities and states.
Following is a list of measures we will take to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 during our summer programs:
- All staff are trained in COVID-19 hygiene protocols.
- COVID-19 protocols orientation meeting at the start of camp.
- Mask wearing and social distancing required at all times when not eating/drinking or swimming.
- Signage and reminders about COVID-19 protocols in all dorm areas, bathrooms, and around campus.
- Handwashing stations around campus and sanitizer in all bathrooms.
- Limited number of students using each bathroom.
- Daily health screenings.
- We will create our own camp "bubble" the first 10 days of camp with minimal interaction with the local community.
- We will follow all state and county health department requirements and protocols in terms of testing, quarantine, and isolation of students who are COVID-positive or suspected to be so.
Dorms and Common Areas
- Students reside in individual dorm rooms and use a personal bathroom shower and toilet stall.
- Limited numbers in laundry, bathrooms, and social distancing/masks required in common areas.
- Professional cleaning service trained in COVID-19 protocols will be frequently sanitizing common and dorm spaces such as laundry, bathrooms, etc.
Classes and Activities
- Classes/groups are small and held outdoors with appropriate social distancing and mask requirements.
- In the highly unlikely event of rain, our Leadership Center provides ample near open-air meeting space with two of its walls opening up garage-style to the outdoors for fresh outdoor air circulation.
- COVID-safe outdoor activities such as pool activities, outdoor movies, hiking, marshmallow roasts, outdoor art classes, fun activities on the soccer field, etc.
- Delicious and nutritious take-away meals prepared by a dining service that has safely served thousands of meals during the pandemic.
- Plenty of outdoor dining areas and a large BBQ grill that allows for outdoor cooking.
- We will have 2 nurses on staff with 24/7 healthcare coverage.
- We have isolated quarantine space on campus for students who need monitoring.
- The local hospital is 5 minutes away and has a 24 hour emergency room.
- We continue to track all COVID-related news and guidance for schools and campus as well as updates from the state health department and the CDC.
These measures are subject to change and will be updated periodically. Should you have any questions regarding our COVID-19 protocols, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 805 686 0615.
We are excited to be able to open our beautiful campus to your child this summer and remain confident that your child will have a healthy and happy summer on Dunn School's campus. We look forwarding to welcoming you and your child to Dunn campus soon! In the meantime, stay well!
- Amanda Milholland, Director of Summer Programs